I love zucchini, and I love using them in lieu of pasta sheets. I thought I'd try something new, so I came up with a Zucchini, Tomato Tofu Bake. I just used half a block of tofu, so this made two portions. I probably should have just used the whole block for four lunches, but wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Saving the other half for later.
Zucchini, Tomato, Tofu Bake
1 large zucchini, cut in half then thin slices lengthwise
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
Approximately 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, thin sliced
2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
3-4 artichoke hearts, small dice (not in oil)
To taste: parsley, salt
1/2 block tofu (thin sliced for 4 slices), pressed then pan seared
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, artichoke hearts, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, parsley, and salt.
In a prepared baking dish (used a small one), add one layer of the zucchini. Top with half of the tomato, artichoke, garlic mixture. Top with tofu. Repeat with zucchini then remaining tomato mixture.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
I will definitely be making this again, and not just for lunch. Not only did it taste great (even without marinating the tofu), it's a power-packed dish full of vitamins and nutrients as well as lean protein.
- Artichokes are a great source for potassium, magnesium, vitamin C and even protein.
- We all know tomatoes are filled with lycopene (an antioxidant), they are also packed with vitamins C and A as well as potassium and iron.
- Tofu is a rich source of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B as well as protein.
- Zucchini actually contains almost all of the B vitamins as well as C, K, and E.
- And if all of those nutritious ingredients aren't enough, even smelly garlic has vitamins and nutrients.
There are definitely so many options for this dish. You could always add in Daiya (or other cheese of choice), red sauce, red bell peppers, even capers would be wonderful.
What is your favorite healthy, go-to lunch recipe?