This morning, I woke up around 5:30 to get in a run. Part of me was wishing I hadn't made plans to run so early. It was dark and cold and I had been snoozing soundly when the alarm went off.
But I had made plans. Jason and I were going to start the run together, then I was meeting my friend somewhere around 2 miles into the run. No backing out. While the first mile was up hill and seemed to go on forever (the hill that is), once I got moving, I was glad to be out there.
I saw a bunny (Jess/Jo) and I knew it was going to be a good run. The sky began to get lighter, slowly but surely. My friend and I fell into a really nice pace. I realized it wasn't nearly as cold or as dark, it was refreshing, awakening.
Other than a run in with a honking, hissing goose that tried to chase us (Jason saved us by flapping his arms and chasing after it, what a sight I'm sure), it was simply perfect.
But back to Angela's post - here are my 10 reasons why I love running.
- Me time - when running solo. Time to reflect or simply be present in the moment with no other cares. Being present but also detached at the same time.
- It makes me feel truly alive - the wind, sun, pavement beneath my feet, sound of my breath. The cold, the hot, the sweat, even the pain.
- Good conversation - when running with A or Jason, I can always count on good conversations even if sometimes totally random. Usually lots of laughing and antics when A and I run.
- It clears my head. Plain and simple.
- Sunrises - the peacefulness of the morning.
- Endorphines - of course.
- I feel accomplished - no matter how hard the run is, I did it. I accomplished something and didn't back down.
- Finding the rhythm of my own breath and footfalls - it can be quite relaxing.
- De-stressig - sometimes a good midday or afternoon run is all I need to let the stresses of the day fall behind me.
- Because I can.
If you run - what are your reasons? If you lift, bake, bike, walk...what are the reasons for doing what you love?