The one thing I am not loving right now is that it's pitch dark again in the morning. The sun isn't rising until around 7-ish, while I'm sitting in my office. Thankfully I have an east-ward facing window.
I've moved my morning runs to midday or after work for a couple of reasons. One, the time change kicked my rear. Two, I really don't feel super comfortable running alone in the total dark. Third, it's warmer when the sun finally comes up.
While I am enjoying the warmer temps of a midday or afternoon run, I am very much missing my morning runs too. I feel rather torn between the change of time for my running.
I think there are pros and cons to the various times of day for running.
- It's quite simply peaceful
- The run is done for the day
- Fewer tummy probs (for me at least)
- The sunrises (when it's farther from the time changes at least)
- It's cooler, which is a must during the summer months
- It's a great way to start the day, sets the tone
- Little traffic
- It can be hard to peel yourself out of bed
- Depending on the time of year, it's so dark you can't see the road
- Running solo can feel a little iffy
- It's warmer, which is nice in the cooler months
- It's a great way to change your mindset and take a break from work
- It's a good energy boosters (and mood booster)
- Vitamin D
- Sometimes things come up and you have to cancel the run
- Gotta time the run around a snack and lunch so you don't eat your arm off
- Usually time-constrained
- During the summer, it can be too hot
- More homeless tend to be out and about
- Heavier vehicular traffic
- Same as Midday in that it's warmer, so a plus in cooler months
- Energy booster for the end of the day
- It can be a great stress reliever after a long, hard day
- Usually you can sleep sounder
- Sometimes you can get a pretty sunset
- Heavy traffic
- More prone to tummy issues
- Fatigued from the day
- Easier to talk yourself out of, especially if you have other plans
- It can get dark on you, so back to dark morning issues
What is your preferred time to run or workout?