Happy Friday friends! My first inclination, today, is to be a bit whiny and complainy (that's a word), especially about our weather change. We went from unseasonably cool weather to full on summer pretty much over night. Don't get me wrong, I love summer. It's really my favorite time of the year.
However, as a runner, summer really isn't exactly my BFF. No more sleeping in on Saturdays. I know I have to get out early to attempt to beat the heat. Which is kind of funny because now all the sudden, beating the heat means running when it's 75 degrees. Now, I wouldn't complain too much about that, except for the 100% humidity and the high dew points. Just makes the air feel thick and soupy.
But, I said I wasn't going to be complainy right? Let's move onto something positive then ... upsides of summer running (I may be digging deep here folks):
1. Getting to jump into the swimming pool right after a run. That's kind of a fun treat.
2. Running through sprinklers and feeling like a kid.
3. Watching the sunrises because it's not pitch black.
4. Seeing the ground you're running on, again because it's not pitch black.
5. Washing far fewer articles of running apparel.
6. Feeling no guilt about digging into a bag of pretzels. I mean, I need the salt after sweating it all out right?
7. Having a fantastic excuse for stopping and taking walk or rest breaks during a run.
There you have it. While I'd much prefer 50 degree mornings for running, then 85 degrees in the afternoon, I know that's not how it works. I also know I live in the south and this is just the tip of the iceberg so I need to put on a happy face and deal with it right?
Do you mind running in the heat of summer?